- There are 300,000 items in the average American home (LA Times).
- British research found that the average 10-year-old owns 238 toys but plays with just 12 daily (The Telegraph).
- The average American woman owns 30 outfits—one for every day of the month. In 1930, that figure was nine (Forbes).
- the average American throws away 65 pounds of clothing per year (Huffington Post).
- Americans spend more on shoes, jewelry, and watches ($100 billion) than on higher education (Psychology Today).
- Shopping malls outnumber high schools. And 93% of teenage girls rank shopping as their favorite pastime (Affluenza).
- Women will spend more than eight years of their lives shopping (The Daily Mail).
- Over the course of our lifetime, we will spend a total of 3,680 hours or 153 days searching for misplaced items.The research found we lose up to nine items every day—or 198,743 in a lifetime. Phones, keys, sunglasses, and paperwork top the list (The Daily Mail).
- Americans spend $1.2 trillion annually on nonessential goods—in other words, items they do not need (The Wall Street Journal).