Making a decision about my tag designs

I started to realise that the most effective way to design my tags would be to speak to other people and watch them interact with my blind, as I have reached the stage where it is most important to consider audience interaction. Even though I want people to think about which blind cord they should pull, I think it is important that the tags give some direction when given a closer look. This is what made me consider using 2 simple steps, with one tag minimising the possessions and the other clearing them completely. I aim for the viewer to follow this journey and consider the role that possessions play in their lives.

Tutorial about the tags attached to my blind

After discussing my final piece with Sorrel, I realise that the tags attached to my blind lack meaning and don’t reflect my research very well. At the moment I feel that I have come to a block, as I can’t think of any ways to improve my tags. I therefore aim to speak to my peers in order to gain a range of new ideas, as I think this is the most effective way to quickly gather fresh inspiration.

Suspending my blind rail from the ceiling

I started off by fixing in some steel eyelets, however the white hooks worked better, as they are less obvious.

The most effective way to suspend the rail was with transparent fishing wire, as I was able to tie small loops with multiple knots and this supported the rail securely. It is important that my rail is level with the ceiling and I therefore had to spend a lot of time insuring the two pieces of wire were cut and tied at the same length. The quickest and most reliable way to do this was to ask my peers to check the level from a distance and then use a spirit level to be more precise.

 

Choosing a space to exhibit my work

We decided that the most effective way to install my blind would be to fix it to the ceiling, as this is what the blind is designed for. However I wasn’t happy with the height of the blind, as the ceiling is quite high and I therefore thought the possessions on the top half of my blind would be lost and hard to see. The cord turn the blind would also be too high and this is a key part of my concept. I spoke to Mike to see if he had any alternative ideas and he helped me to design a plan to suspend my blind from the ceiling with transparent cords. I like this idea and think the blind is well suited to hang in the centre of the ceiling, as I would like people to walk around the whole blind and interact with it easily. The only issue is that I am worried the blind will be unstable when people pull on the cord and I therefore need to ensure the whole installation is very well made and secure with multiple points of attachment. It was useful to talk about my installation with multiple people, as Annie pointed out that it isn’t very obvious that my piece can be interacted with. It is important to me that viewers interact with my piece, as this is a crucial part of my concept. I therefore came up with the idea to hang two pieces of ribbon with words stitched into them on either side of the blind cord. I am unsure about which words I will use and I would like to ask around my peers to see what would work best before starting to create test samples.

Unstitching some of the possessions

Even though it will take a long time to unstitch the sewing machine stitch, I have chosen to remove a couple of the possessions on the blind. This is because some of the possessions I added yesterday were made in a rush and look more naive than the others. A lot of the clutter that I disposed of in my room was childhood clutter, however this naturally makes my piece look more childlike and the bright colours used distract from the possessions. I would also like to stitch back into some of my possessions, as I realise that my stitchwork from last night didn’t include much detail. After this experience, I realise that I work much better practically in a morning and in the future I will avoid working on important practical work late at night, as I¬†often make mistakes that take longer to sort out the next day. I find that I can focus better on my blog work in an evening, as I can reflect on the day as a whole and think about what I need to do the following day.

Stitching into the blind

I am really pleased with the blind that I ordered, as the material is easy to stitch into and this means the opposite side will look neat and minimalistic, which is exactly what I hoped for. The only issue is that the material strips aren’t as wide as I thought they would be, which means some of the textile possessions I have made don’t fit onto the blind. To solve this problem I have cut down some of the possessions and restitched into them, as it would be very time consuming to remake the possessions. From now on I will make my possessions smaller and I realise that it will be more effective to make long thin objects like a pencil or toothbrush. Now that I know my blind is suitable to be stitched into, I feel motivated to continue making possessions, as I realise that this weekend is the final push to get my piece finished.

Choosing my exhibition space

I realised that the only option is to hang my blinds in the centre of the room, as I need people to be able to walk around both sides of the blind. I am hoping to suspend the blind from the ceiling by attaching it to a cord that will be tied between two points. I have taken measurements for my blind and I hope it works out okay, as I am worried that the cord won’t hold the weight of the blind. I am aiming to hang my blind near the entrance, as this means people will have to walk around the blind.